Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sacred Buffalo

Located on the west side of our city is Sherman Park with it's five ancient Indian burial mounds. The history of this park is a very rich one dating back to the early years of Sioux Falls. Yet the history of the land the park sits on goes back much further with bones from the burial mounds dating back as far as 500 B.C.

At the entrance to this park sits this fantastic rock wall. The scene built into the wall shows an Indian on horseback with a spear in his hand chasing five buffalo.

I have seen many murals, some painted some constructed out of mosaic tiles but never before have I seen such a work of art as this. The vision, time and detail that went into creating this beautiful wall leaves me in awe.
close up of the Indian

close detail of one of the five buffalo
With so many big beautiful parks in our city I believe this small but beautiful and historically rich park is often overlooked.
Linking up with:


Unknown Mami


Enjoy visiting far off destinations? Hop over to Sundays in My City to enjoy many lovely cities.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing wall, a fantastic piece of art.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

That felt like a trip back in time. I agree it's amazing and your photos are great.
Cheers.
xoRobyn

Keetha Broyles said...

I've never seen anything like that either, and how in the WORLD did they dream it up???

sheila said...

This is awesome! I've never seen a mosiac in sandstone or whatever that is! LOVE this post!!! Love your site too! Your font is very appealing!

TexWisGirl said...

wow. that is really neat.

Joanna Jenkins said...

The workmanship that went into the wall is inspiring and a beautiful tribute. I've never seen anything like it before. Thanks for the photos!
Happy SIMC, jj

qandlequeen said...

That is cool. Thanks for sharing!

Claudya Martinez said...

That is amazing. I have a hard time understanding how it is even possible to make something like that.

Kristin - The Goat said...

Goodness! That's lovely! I've never been to your city, but I've just added another reason why I'd love to. Thank you so much for taking us to this fabulous place.