Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sculpture Walk - Call to Artists

One thing I really love about the Sioux Falls community is its' commitment to the arts. For a small city of 150,000 people support for the arts is very strong. Art exhibits, theatrical shows, musical performances all are enjoyed and supported by our community. 
Of the many art exhibits held throughout the year the most visible is the Down Town Sculpture Walk. The Sculpture Walk is going into it's sixth year and has recently sent out a call to artists for the 2012 Sculpture Walk.
These sculptures are displayed on the walkways throughout the down town area and many are sold each year and moved to new homes, sometimes in private residences sometimes at local businesses. 


These last two are my favorites from this years Sculpture Walk.

You can view the current sculptures on line here.
If you or someone you know creates sculptures you may want to check out the call to Artists.

4 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

what a great thing to sponsor. better than the 'paint a cow/horse/pig' city events...

Kathryn Dyche said...

I love sculpture walks, it's great that your community celebrates artists in this way. I think my favorite would have to be the third one down.

Ms. Becky said...

see, I got distracted from this post by the dramatic night shots in previous post! I wanted to comment that I love the sculptures that are your faves. I love the bald-headed man in the over-sized suit jacket. it's very appealing to me. and the other too. don't you just love art???

Unknown said...

Hmmmmm Tex, I do believe I might enjoy seeing a Paint the cow/horse/pig event. :D
Dyche, the fox is pretty great. The fox is one of a set of sculptures, the other is a hare that is running away from the fox.
I am partial to the bald-headed guy for some reason, and yes Ms. Becky I do love art in almost any form.