Monday, July 18, 2011

Hot Summer Sunday

Yes the Midwest can get pretty hot. Typically though it isn't too terribly bad. It can also get pretty humid around here. Now when the two combine it can be miserable outdoors. Earlier today it was 95 degrees with a heat index of 117 degrees, thanks to the humidity.

Although heat and humidity are typical here in Sioux Falls, this summer is proving to be an unusually bad scorcher with very high humidity and temps and fewer thunderstorms. One thing I have always kind of looked forward to is a nice thunderstorm in the evening to break the heat of the day and drop the humidity. Yet for the last few days the heat and humidity have continued to rise and there isn't a T-storm in sight.

Yesterday the heat index got up to about 105 and that was bad enough to keep most people indoors as much as possible. Falls Park is typically very busy on Sunday afternoons and as you will see by these photos I took yesterday it was almost deserted.



2 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

the water appears 'cool' even tho i know it wasn't! we just had our 17th straight day over 100, so i can sympathize with you w/ excess humidity too...

Lisa said...

We have a falls park in our area too. 105!!! Wowza! That's hot! Love your photos.

Also, I wanted to say thanks for stopping by by blog a few weeks ago. I usually try to get right back to anyone that stops by my blog and comments. My uncle died and I went to Massachusetts for his funeral. I had to put off commenting and blogging until I got home and got caught up on things. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. :) Have a great week.