Monday, April 7, 2014

Pronghorn

While driving from Sioux Falls to Rapid City along I90 on Sunday we came across this beautiful sight!

Obviously I don't know my animals very well as at first I thought it was a herd of young deer. Although, they didn't look exactly like most of the deer I have seen.  I also found it odd that there was no sign of a buck or an older doe. 


So when I got home and brought the image up on my computer and could zoom in to get a closer look, I realized right away that this was no herd of deer. While the body shape was similar, the neck and head had more of a horse shape, and they didn't appear to have tails. So my search began. I soon learned these are young female Pronghorns


Talk about a beautiful animal. Here is a look at an adult male.

source
And that was Sunday in my city state.
Please be sure to visit Unknown Mami's virtual travel party by clicking on the button below.

Unknown Mami

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

They are beautiful animals. I seem to recall Lewis and Clark were perplexed by them.

StarTraci said...

Wow! Those are really pretty. If it makes you feel any better, I have never heard of pronghorns before this moment. So thanks for the education.
:-)
Traci